Virtual Clinic: Building Your Team Defense
Date & time: Saturday, June 5, 2021
The clinic hours will depend on your time zone. Find yours below to see when you can watch live:
- Pacific: 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Mountain: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Central: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Eastern: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Russ Rose – Penn State, 7-time NCAA Champion
- John Dunning – Stanford ’01-’16, 5-time NCAA Champion
- Terry Liskevych – USA Olympic Coach (‘84 – ‘96) & Oregon State University (‘05 – ‘16)
- Debbie Brown – Notre Dame (’90-’14)
- Tenisha Wilkins-Rambert – Level Up Volleyball Academy (LUVA)
Topics covered: Building Your Team Defense
Instead of briefly touching on every aspect of the game, this clinic is going to focus exclusively on team defense. With an entire day of on-court training dedicated to understanding why, how and when you should implement different defensive systems and how to train blockers and defenders to work as a unit, our elite lineup of coaches will have the chance to really dive in and give you an in-depth look into how you can shut down your opponent. Topics will include:
- Defensive systems overview
- Choosing and building a system
- Focusing on weaknesses
- Strategy of floor defense
- Meshing your block with your floor defense
- Linking your defense to transition
- System adjustments to situations
- Individual, combo and team defense drills
|9:00 AM||Introduction||AOC Staff|
|9:10 AM||Choosing Your Defensive System||Terry Liskevych|
|9:40 AM||The Building Blocks of Good Defenders||Debbie Brown & Tenisha Wilkins|
|10:10 AM||Break (10 min)|
|10:20 AM||Training Blocking Technique||John Dunning|
|10:50 AM||Defensive Attitude and Team Culture||Russ Rose|
|11:20 AM||Teaching Blockers and Defenders to Read||John Dunning|
|11:50 AM||Lunch Break|
|1:00 PM||Defending Against the OH In and Out of System||Russ Rose|
|1:30 PM||Defending Against Back Row Attacks||Debbie Brown|
|2:00 PM||Defending Against the OPP In and Out of System||John Dunning & Tenisha Wilkins|
|2:30 PM||Break (10 min)|
|2:40 PM||Defending Against Middle Attacks||Terry Liskevych|
|3:10 PM||Team Defense vs. Different Offensive Situations||Russ Rose & John Dunning|
|3:40 PM||Drills to Improve Individual and Team Defense||All Coaches|
|4:20 PM||In-person Clinic End|
|4:30 PM||Virtual Attendee Q&A||All Coaches|
- Purchase 2 virtual clinics – 10% off all tickets
- Purchase 3 virtual clinics – 20% off all tickets
- Purchase 4 virtual clinics – 30% off all tickets
- Purchase 5 virtual clinics – 40% off all tickets
- Purchase 6+ virtual clinics – 50% off all tickets
Frequently Asked Questions
What level of coach should attend?
Coaches of all levels will benefit from the wide range of information covered at the clinic. From skill fundamentals and drill ideas to mental training and game strategies, this clinic will give you an in-depth look at training techniques and teaching methods that some of the top coaches in the country use with their own teams. Whether you’re a beginning coach, an experienced professional or somewhere in between, you’ll walk away with new ideas and methods you can implement in your gym immediately.
Will Premium members get free access to the clinic recordings?
No, Premium members will not be able to access the footage from each clinic unless they’ve purchased access. You can either purchase a clinic ticket now to watch live during the event (with perks like Q&As with the clinicians, clinic handbook and CEUs), or you can purchase access to the clinic recordings after the clinic series is over at the end of June. Clinic recordings will be the same price as live clinic tickets. Premium members receive a 10% discount off of all clinic options – in-person tickets, virtual tickets, and clinic recordings.
What are the benefits of attending virtually?
Besides getting to watch from the comfort of your own home (in pajamas… on the couch… near the fridge!), there are many benefits to attending this clinic virtually, including:
- Watch from home with no COVID risk
- Save money with cheaper tickets and no travel, hotel or eating out
- Watch the clinic live or on demand if your schedule doesn’t allow for live viewing
- Watch only the topics that appeal to you if you’re not interested in a certain session
- Ask the clinicians questions in a dedicated Q&A session for virtual attendees
- Receive a printable handbook PDF for note-taking during the clinic
- Receive continuing education hours for participating
- Easily attend multiple clinics!
What does a virtual ticket get me?
Purchasing a ticket gets you a number of things, including:
- Access to the 8-hour live clinic stream
- The opportunity to ask the clinicians questions and get them answered in a virtual Q&A
- A printable handbook PDF full of drills and notes from the clinicians
- A certificate showing time spent at the clinic that can be submitted for continuing education hours
- On-demand access to the virtual clinic recording for life
- Access to discounts on gear and tools from AOC and its partners
How do I access the virtual clinic after purchasing?
After purchasing, you will find the link to watch the live workshop under My Dashboard > Clinic Videos. The link will also be emailed to you before the event.
What are the technology requirements for watching virtually?
You’ll need to have Zoom downloaded prior to the clinic. Once you’ve downloaded the app on whatever device you’ll be watching with, you’ll simply need to click on the provided Zoom link to access the live video. A camera and mic are not required.
When will the clinic handbook be sent to me for printing?
You can expect the clinic handbook PDF to be emailed to you around 1 week prior to the clinic in order to give you ample time get it printed in time to take notes in it during the clinic.
Where can I find a receipt showing what I paid?
When you purchase a clinic ticket, a receipt will be emailed to you stating the amount paid. You can also sign in to your account and go here to view all of your past store purchases.
What is the refund policy?
You can receive a full refund of your virtual ticket up until 24 hours before the day of the clinic. Refund requests after the 24 hour mark will not be granted. For example, if the clinic begins on April 4, you can request a refund up until the end of the day on April 2.
What past clinic attendees are saying
★★★★★ VERY INFORMATIVE! “I loved the variety of coaches. The ability to see things from different perspectives. These coaches were animated and very informative and entertaining. I loved every second.”
– Baltimore Clinic Attendee
★★★★★ ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! “Even though it was a load of information, the way the clinic was put together was perfect. Segments weren’t too long, there were enough breaks, watching the players helped me analyze the drills, and the speakers were phenomenal. Absolutely worth every penny.”
– Chapel Hill Clinic Attendee
★★★★★ WELL OILED MACHINE “The AOC clinic was a well oiled machine with useful comprehensive and relevant material. The combination of personalities, experience and philosophy of the presenters was priceless! So glad I invested my time and money to attend; my players will benefit from what I learned.”
– Omaha Clinic Attendee
★★★★★ HELPED ME BECOME A COMPETENT COACH “I’ve never coached or played volleyball and I agreed to coach my school’s 12-14’s after a request from my students. I had no idea what I was doing and the clinic helped me to become a competent coach after having almost zero volleyball know-how. I’ve now fallen in love with the sport! I strongly feel that AOC resources are 100% worth the money I’ve spent on them.”
– Phoenix Clinic Attendee
★★★★★ EXTREMELY GRATEFUL! “I have been to several coaching clinics, but this one was by far the most organized, and had the best coaching lineup with the best information that I have ever seen. The coaches presented the information so that every coach, no matter what kind of experience they have, could benefit from the information. I loved being able to listen to the coaches explain a process, then use the girls to demonstrate the process so that we could get a visual to use with our own team. The schedule was maintained really well, and I came away from this clinic feeling more prepared to coach high school varsity for the first time. I am extremely grateful!”
– Las Vegas Clinic Attendee